Simmons College officially opened its doors to students for the 1892-1893 school year. The first class consisted of 48 boys and 41 girls, and were instructed by 9 faculty members. At this time the school held two different groups of students, the Primary Department and the College Department. Within the College Department, there were 4 degree plans available, but in reality the only difference was how many and what types of languages were chosen.
Here are some highlights from the first catalog–
- Holidays: 1 day for Thanksgiving, 2 days the week of Christmas, and the first day of May
- Clubs: Two Literary Societies, one for young gentlemen and the other for young ladies, to meet once a week for debate and other exercises
- College Library: 600 volumes, Students are forbidden to bring literature of a “trashy nature” into the College building
- Required Articles: each student is expected to furnish:
- A pair of sheets
- A pair of blankets
- A spread
- Toilet soap
- Also included in the first bulletin was the first set of rules for the campus.
The first catalog in 1892-1983 was 20 pages long compared to the 2013-2014 version which has 216 pages, and that’s just for undergraduates!