Like most origin-stories, the Richardson Library came from humble beginnings.
While this origin-story doesn’t involve the death of a parent-figure (i.e. Bruce Wayne’s parents; Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben; Luke Skywalker’s Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru; Bambi’s dad…), it does include an orange grove.
Quick interruption: Wow. The male protagonist tends to lose his father figure at the start of the story. Other than with Disney princesses, does this trend continue with female protagonists??
Back to the orange grove.
While the need and desire for a fire-proof library consumed the campus since the 1890’s, space and, mostly, money prevented a standalone building from coming to fruition until the 1970’s.
Fundraising for the Rupert and Pauline Richardson Library began with the students.
In 1972, after the annual student orange-picking-trip down in the orange groves of Edinburg, TX students sold their haul.
Earning $20,000, this kick started the campaign to raise funds for the construction of a new library.
60 STUDENTS, over the course of
2 DAYS, picked 11 TONS
of oranges, transported in
500 BOXES, to sell, raising
$20,000 for a new LIBRARY.
Also in 1972, President Skiles and the Board of Trustees launched the Profile for Progress Campaign. A new library was the main focus of this capital campaign, with a goal of $1.5 million intended for construction and $500,000 for equipment.
Staff and faculty pledged $100,000 towards the goal.
The L.E. Mabee Foundation offered a challenge gift of $500,000 if $1 million was raised.
The school reached its financial goal for the library, and the architectural firm of Tittle, Luther, and Loving drew the plans of the 3-story, 48,642 square foot building.
Groundbreaking for the new library took place Thursday, April 18, 1974.
What’s in a name?
Rupert Noval Richardson (1891-1988)
Beginning his relationship with the school in 1907 as an undergraduate, Richardson spent the majority of his life dedicated to his alma mater.
Over the years, he played the role of student, professor, dean, president, and advisor to Hardin-Simmons University.
Richardson lived through the highs and lows of the 20th century, experiencing HSU’s rich history firsthand.
Though physically gone, his spirit remains in all that he contributed to the campus and community, most noticeably with his namesake, The Rupert and Pauline Richardson Library.
The Rupert and Pauline Richardson Library was dedicated November 6, 1976.